Limb Preservation Program
If you live with diabetes, PVD or a non-healing leg wound you know you have a higher risk for limb amputation. It can be distressing to know you have this risk. But when you turn to us, you can know that we're using advances in limb-sparing surgery to enable you to keep your limb. Our goal is to preserve your limb(s) while offering you a lifestyle of independence and mobility.
Those at-risk for amputation
Many factors place people at risk for amputation or loss of limb. Our program offers advanced techniques for treating limb threatening conditions or diseases. These conditions or diseases include:
- Acute and chronic infections which threaten extremities
- Advanced Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)
- Critical Limb Ischemia
- Diabetic condition
- Foot ulcers
- Lower limb infections, including osteomyelitis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Kidney failure
- Venous disorders
Services and Diagnostic Tools
We treat and manage your wound based on the guidelines created by the Wound Healing Society. We also use the Society for Vascular Surgery in guiding our wound healing care decisions.
It doesn't matter how simple or complex your wound is. You receive the most advanced treatments we have available.
Throughout our system, our advanced diagnostic tools and services include:
- Advanced imaging, like venous and arterial ultrasound
- Ankle-brachial index (ABI) and toe-brachial index (TBI) tests
- Biomechanical and pressure off-load strategies
- Complex Surgical Intervention including arterial bypass
- Current cell and gene therapies
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy / wound care
- Infectious disease care
- Minimally invasive vein therapies
- Podiatry and foot care
- Revascularization through minimally invasive catheter based procedures
- Transcutaneous oximetry (tcPO2)
- Vascular lab
- Vascular, endovascular and orthopedic procedures
- Wound debridement and specialty dressings
Additional offerings include:
- Appropriate physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Ongoing infection and diabetes control
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
You will need to call your local hospital to learn which of the above options are available in your area.
We use a collaborative team approach to preventing major limb amputations. Our comprehensive team consists of physicians, nurses and technicians. They are experts in all aspects of wound care and limb salvage.
Your vascular surgeons and podiatrists manage your care. They are also responsible for coordinating your referrals to specialists, like:
- Endocrinology and Diabetes
- Infectious disease
- Plastic surgery
- Wound care
They will also coordinate key care decisions and needs with key team members like:
- Rehabilitation medicine specialists
We will also provide you access to outpatient services. These teams specialize in chronic, non-healing wounds. Treatment may include debridement, growth factor therapy, biologics and Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment.
Combining advanced care with convenience
The Limb Preservation Program employs the latest limb-saving techniques through a multidisciplinary approach. Best of all, we're close to your home, where you do the best healing.
Early diagnosis allows for the selection of appropriate medical, endovascular and surgical intervention. This will give you the best chances of preventing amputation.
Preserving limbs and the ability to walk is critical to maintaining personal autonomy and dignity.