Services and Treatments
Seniors have unique health needs. We take these needs into consideration to heal and comfort our patients.
We offer a range of services and specialized care for seniors across our hospitals, including:
- Behavioral health - This inpatient geriatric psychiatry program is designed to address the mental health and medical needs of patients 65 and older. Learn more about behavioral health.
- Home health - We support seniors as they transition from hospital to home, and we help shorten hospital stays to reduce healthcare costs. Learn more about home health.
- Hospice care - Hospice care focuses on pain management and tending to a person’s physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs during advanced illness. Learn more about hospice care.
- Palliative care - Palliative care helps ease the suffering of people with chronic illnesses, such as advanced cancer, lung disease and heart failure. Learn more about palliative care.
Connect with an SCL location near you to learn about senior services in your community
Our nurses and doctors with geriatric training provide treatment for seniors across many specialties, including:
- Alzheimer’s and dementia care - We help seniors understand their diagnoses, as well as options and choices for care. Learn more about Alzheimer’s and dementia care.
- Arthritis care - Severe or prolonged joint and muscle pain may be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis, which is more common in seniors. We can help relieve this pain and identify ways to maintain an active lifestyle. Learn more about arthritis and rheumatology care.
- Cancer care - We can provide special accommodations for seniors during cancer care.
- Diabetes care – Our diabetes specialists provide treatment and dietary plans. Learn more about diabetes care.
- Eye care - Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD), Cataracts, and Glaucoma are eye conditions that often affect seniors. Read more about eye care and disorders.
- Heart and vascular care - Nearly half of people with cardiovascular diseases are 60 or older. Our cardiologists are experienced in treating seniors with non-surgical options and procedures such as heart surgery, vascular surgery and cardiac rehabilitation. Learn more about heart and vascular care.
- Kidney care - Seniors may have co-existing conditions that can make treatment for kidney disease a challenge. Our kidney doctors understand these unique issues and work with other specialists to create specialized treatment plans for seniors. Learn more about kidney care.
- Orthopedics care - We offer joint replacement, knee and hip care and other treatments to keep seniors active with less discomfort. Learn more about orthopedics care.
- Stroke care - Nearly 3 of 4 strokes occur in people over 65. We offer rehabilitation after these “brain attacks.” Learn more about stroke care.
We offer a range of treatments for conditions affecting seniors, ranging from traditional medicine to integrative therapies.
- Integrative medicine - These therapies, sometimes described as “alternative” medicine, include treatments such as acupuncture, massage therapy, and yoga. Learn more about integrative medicine.
- Oral medications - These medications are chewed, swallowed, or placed under the tongue.
- Pain management - You don’t have to live your life in pain. We can help you manage it.
- Psychotherapy - This treatment option uses psychological treatment methods rather than medicine to help overcome health problems. Learn more about support for emotional needs.
- Surgery - We can accommodate the unique health concerns of seniors in surgery.