Understanding Medical Costs
Price estimates and payment options
We know medical costs can be very confusing. Whether you have health insurance and are trying to understand out of pocket costs or if you pay directly for your care and do not have health insurance, we can help you get the information you need.
If you have health insurance
Have questions about your deductible, copayment, coinsurance, benefit limits, and what your health insurance will cover for a service or procedure? Plans can be very different and the best thing to do is contact your health insurance company directly. See a list of common insurances we accept.
If you do not have health insurance and pay for your medical bills directly
To get a confidential price estimate for a medical service or procedure at a SCL Health hospital, please contact the financial counselors at your local hospital listed below. The more information you are able to give the counselors, the more accurate your estimate will be.
Before you call, please have the following information:
- A description of the service or procedure you need - as described by your doctor with specifics
- The procedure code or "CPT code" for the service - available from your doctor
- Your doctor’s name - who is the physician ordering your service?
- If you are having surgery, who is the surgeon?
The cost estimate of your service or procedure will be based on the information you give the counselors. Please keep in mind, this is only an estimate and many factors can affect the final actual cost. For example, the provider may need to perform more, fewer or different services or procedures at the time of service.
There may also be radiology, laboratory, pathology, and other services that are extra and not included in our estimate. You may also get bills from other health care than SCL Health for your medical care.
Prices for common procedures
SCL Health, our hospitals and physician clinics are committed to providing high-quality, affordable health care. To help you make decisions about your healthcare needs, we have listed the most common inpatient and outpatient medical services and procedures, lab and imaging services as well as physician visits with their estimated charges, effective January 1, 2019.
See self-pay medical costs (for patients without insurance) and price estimates from the following hospitals:
- Good Samaritan Medical Center - Lafayette, CO
- Lutheran Medical Center - Wheat Ridge, CO
- Platte Valley Medical Center, Brighton, CO
- Saint Joseph Hospital - Denver, CO
- St. Mary's Medical Center - Grand Junction, CO
- Holy Rosary Healthcare, Miles City, MT
- St. James Healthcare, Butte, MT
- St. Vincent Healthcare - Billings, MT
Please remember the following:
- Always double check with your care provider to make sure you understand your expected costs based on the specific services you require.
- The actual costs of your procedure will be based on the care provided. Many factors affect the actual cost, including whether the provider finds it necessary to perform more, fewer, or different procedures at the time of service.
- There may also be radiology, laboratory, pathology, and other services that result in additional charges from providers other than SCL Health and our hospitals.
You may qualify for financial assistance or a cash pay discount. Learn about financial assistance.