Help support your local community hospital.
Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation’s compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain loving one another. - Erma Bombeck
Volunteers make our hospitals and communities a little brighter for everyone. If you can spare some time to help others, we have a place for you! Our hospitals welcome new volunteers and work to match each person’s talents and interests to the activities best suited to them.
Volunteers at St. James Healthcare
Our volunteers have one thing in common: a dedication to service.
As a volunteer, you will be an extension of our healthcare team, sharing your time and talents throughout our facility. You will make a difference in the lives of our patients and family members. You will become the hands, feet and heart of St. James.
St. James Healthcare's Volunteer Auxiliary serve in a variety of capacities, and numerous volunteer opportunities are available.
Benefits of volunteering
Why volunteer? Let us count the ways:
- Make a difference to others, and be blessed yourself.
- Meet generous, friendly like-minded people while serving a collective purpose.
- Give back to your community through service to others.
- Contribute to the SCL Health mission to reveal and foster God’s healing love.
- Develop professional skills and gain valuable healthcare experience that can help you when applying for jobs, scholarships and college programs.
- Gain a better view of the relationship between the patient, healthcare providers and the community.
Before you volunteer
Before you can put on that volunteer vest and proudly wear that volunteer badge, there are a few steps you’ll need to take, including:
- An interview with a volunteer services leader
- A background check
- Proof of vaccinations
- Possibly a tuberculosis test, flu shot and other requirements to serve in a healthcare setting
Ready to learn more or apply?
Complete your application today and become part of our team. For more information on volunteering, stop by the St. James Healthcare Gift Shop, Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm or call 406-723-2787.
Areas where you can volunteer
The Gift Shop at St. James Healthcare is staffed entirely by volunteers, as is the Front Information Desk. Desk attendants assist clerks in admitting patients and helping to get patients and visitors where they need to go. In addition, the hospital's Auxiliary delivers mail and newspapers (courtesy of Marquis Vintage Suites Assisted Living) to patients each day.
Annual auxiliary events
The Auxiliary has three luncheons during the year and sponsors various fundraising activities. These activities, together with Gift Shop sales, allow the Auxiliary to purchase new equipment for St. James Healthcare.
The Auxiliary purchases fabric for the Obstetrics Department to make blankets for every baby born at St. James.
The group also awards several $1,000 scholarships each year and takes care of the Book of Memories that honors the deceased through memorial donations.