The food we eat affects our health in many ways. From prevention to management of chronic disease, the dietitians at St. James Healthcare provide individualized nutrition counseling for a variety of conditions. Our goal is to educate and empower our patients to make lifestyle choices that lead to health and wellbeing.
What is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)?
Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (dietitians) are food and nutrition experts who use evidence-based nutrition information and motivational counseling strategies to help facilitate positive lifestyle changes. Dietitians work in a variety of settings, with individuals of all age groups. During an initial nutrition visit, your dietitian will perform a thorough nutrition assessment and provide guidance based on your specific needs and goals.
Nutrition Services Offered
Our dietitians provide a broad scope of services to our patients during nutrition visits. Throughout your visit, you can explore a variety of nutrition topics and ask any questions you may have. A few examples of ways a dietitian might help you during a visit include:
- Objectively review your nutritional intake
- Provide evidence-based recommendations to help you meet your nutritional needs
- Assist you with meal planning and preparation techniques
- Help you debunk diet myths
- Foster a positive relationship with food through mindful and intuitive eating
- Optimize your sports and athletic performance
- Identify and dismantle barriers to behavior change
- Demonstrate effective use of nutrition labels
- And many more!
Our dietitians also help patients understand the important role nutrition plays in managing certain medical conditions and chronic diseases.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Dietitians also specialize in providing Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) which is evidenced-based nutrition therapy that primarily focuses on the management of diseases. Dietitians work with providers to ensure that appropriate nutrition therapy is provided based on the specific medical conditions of the patient. Our dietitians, who are licensed in the state of Montana, have training and experience working with adults and children who have a variety of needs and conditions including, but not limited to:
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Cancer (including those undergoing chemo/radiation therapy)
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Hypertension or Hyperlipidemia
- Pregnancy and Lactation
- Healthy/Sustainable Weight Management
- Digestive Disorders (IBS, IBD, Celiac Disease, Constipation/Diarrhea)
- Food Allergies/Intolerances
- Eating Disorders
- Wound Healing
- Nutrition Support
- Older Adult Nutrition
- Pediatric Nutrition
Ask your provider if a referral for medical nutrition therapy, provided by a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, is right for you. With a provider’s referral, you can make an appointment to see a dietitian at St. James Healthcare.
To learn more about nutrition services offered at St. James Healthcare, contact the Nutrition Services team by emailing: email@example.com.