Help support your local community hospital.
Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation’s compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain loving one another. - Erma Bombeck
Volunteers make our hospitals and communities a little brighter for everyone. If you can spare some time to help others, we have a place for you! Our hospitals welcome new volunteers and work to match each person’s talents and interests to the activities best suited to them.
Volunteers at Saint Joseph Hospital
Our volunteers have one thing in common: a dedication to service.
When you become a volunteer at Saint Joseph Hospital, you’ll find that your greatest rewards come from the heart. Volunteers play a key role in the healing presence and culture of our hospital. The touch of a hand, a friendly smile, a listening ear, is all it takes to make a difference. The need for volunteers is great, and the rewards are even greater.
Saint Joseph Hospital
Julie Gerbick, Volunteer Services Assistant
Benefits of volunteering
Why volunteer? Let us count the ways:
- Make a difference to others, and be blessed yourself.
- Meet generous, friendly like-minded people while serving a collective purpose.
- Give back to your community through service to others.
- Contribute to the SCL Health mission to reveal and foster God’s healing love.
- Develop professional skills and gain valuable healthcare experience that can help you when applying for jobs, scholarships and college programs.
- Gain a better view of the relationship between the patient, healthcare providers and the community.
Before you volunteer
Before you can put on that volunteer vest and proudly wear that volunteer badge, there are a few steps you’ll need to take, including:
- Interview with a volunteer services leader
- Background check
- Proof of vaccinations (MMR, Flu & COVID-19)
- Occupational Health visit to complete a Tuberculosis test and Alcohol/Drug screening.
Typically, volunteers serve an average of four hours per week. As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to grow, learn, make new friends, exchange ideas and contribute to your community. Volunteers receive complimentary uniforms, free secured parking and a free meal in the café during your shift. We do require a minimum of a 1-year commitment but hope you will love volunteering so much you won’t want to leave!
Additionally, you must be at least 14 years old.
Ready to learn more or apply?
If you are at least 14 years old or older, simply complete and submit the form below
Areas where you can volunteer
Volunteers make a meaningful difference in many areas at Saint Joseph Hospital. Choose from a variety of positions:
- Welcome Desks
- Volunteer Patient Visitors
- Pet Therapy Visitors
- Eucharistic Ministers
- Emergency Department
- Mended Hearts (previous heart surgery patients visiting with new patients)
- And More!
Available areas will be discussed at an in-person interview with a volunteer services leader.