The Saint Joseph Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program offers many opportunities for medical students to spend time with us.
- Medical students are invited to spend a day or two observing in the clinic, hospital, or both.
- We offer a family medicine sub-internship to fourth-year students. Preference is given to students intending to apply to family medicine residency. Rotations are four weeks in length, though two week rotations are sometimes allowed.
The family medicine sub-internship is designed to broaden students' experience within the full scope of the practice of family medicine as it relates to ongoing comprehensive care of the patient. Students work closely with both the family medicine faculty and residents throughout the rotation. Clinical responsibilities are divided between office practice in the Bruner Family Medicine Clinic and the inpatient family medicine service at Saint Joseph Hospital. Throughout the clerkship, emphasis is placed on the maturation of medical communication skills, patient management, and interdisciplinary coordination of patient care. Sub-interns will be expected to function as a member of the team; experience managing hospitalized patients is strongly encouraged.
We host sub-interns from August - January and can accommodate two fourth-year students at a time. Applications are accepted beginning February 1. We will let all applicants know about the status of their application by April 30 at the latest. Students are highly encouraged to apply early as spots fill quickly.
2019 - 2020 Dates
- August 23 to September 20, 2019
- September 23 to October 18, 2019
- October 21 to November 15, 2019
- November 18 to December 13, 2019
- January 2 to January 24, 2020
- Current U.S. medical school student
- Liability insurance
- Health insurance coverage
- Immunizations up-to-date