The Saint Joseph Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program offers many opportunities for medical students to spend time with us.
- Medical students are invited to spend a day or two observing in the clinic, hospital, or both.
- We offer a family medicine sub-internship to fourth-year students. Preference is given to students intending to apply to family medicine residency.
The family medicine sub-internship is designed to broaden students' experience within the full scope of the practice of family medicine as it relates to ongoing comprehensive care of the patient. Students work closely with both the family medicine faculty and residents throughout the rotation. Clinical responsibilities are divided between office practice in the Bruner Family Medicine Clinic and the inpatient family medicine service at Saint Joseph Hospital (typically 2 weeks of each). Throughout the clerkship, emphasis is placed on the maturation of medical communication skills, patient management, and interdisciplinary coordination of patient care. Sub-interns will be expected to function as a member of the team; experience managing hospitalized patients is strongly encouraged.
- We host sub-interns from September - January and can accommodate two fourth-year students at a time.
- Applications are accepted beginning January 1 each year.
- We will let all applicants know about the status of their application by April 30 at the latest. Students are highly encouraged to apply early as spots fill quickly on a rolling basis.
- Underrepresented Minorities in Medicine are strongly encouraged to apply. Travel and lodging stipends are available for a select group of applicants.
2020 - 2021 Dates
- September 14 to October 9, 2020
- October 12 to November 6, 2020
- November 9 to December 4, 2020
- December 7 to January 1, 2021
- January 4 to January 29, 2021
- Current U.S. medical school student
- Liability insurance
- Health insurance coverage
- Immunizations up-to-date
Preference Given To:
- Passion for working with underserved populations
- Spanish fluency
- Strong leadership and inpatient experiences
- USMLE 210 or above; COMLEX 590 or above
Questions? Please contact Jan Notch at Jan.Notch@sclhealth.org.