Essential Health Benefits
Health plans offered in a federally approved Marketplace will generally offer a set of “essential health benefits” with these items and services to ensure you and your family are covered:
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (which includes counseling and psychotherapy)
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care.
Individuals can buy insurance through a Marketplace if they live in the United States, are U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals (or are lawfully present), and aren’t currently incarcerated.