Test Your Savvy on … the Benefits of Fruits and Veggies
Determine if the following statements are true or false. The correct answers appear below.
1. Eating your veggies can reduce your risk of developing cancer.
2. Fruits aren’t as healthy as vegetables.
3. Leafy greens are a great source of calcium.
4. Some fruits have anti-inflammatory properties.
1. True. Researchers found green vegetables like green beans, yellow and orange veggies like yellow peppers, and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli are the best vegetables to prevent some cancers.
2. False. Fruits are packed with vitamins and nutrients that can promote heart health, reduce risk for cancer and other diseases.
3. True. While dairy usually comes to mind when you think of calcium, some leafy greens are full of it, as well as other nutrients that build strong skeletons and prevent bone loss over time.
4. True. Some fruits are full of anthocyanin, a flavonoid that gives fruits their blue to red colors and possesses strong anti-inflammatory properties.