St. James Healthcare
You will learn about:
- How to prepare for breastfeeding before your baby is born
- Important tips for the first hour after birth
- Skin to skin
- Rooming in
- Feeding on Cue
- Positions and Latching
- Hand Expression
- How to make and maintain your milk supply
- How to tell if the baby is getting enough to eat
- And more!
Benefits of breastfeeding for Mom
- Convenient and cost-saving – always warm and ready
- Linked to lower risk of breast and ovarian cancers, Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis
- Helpful with mom's recovery after delivery
Benefits of breastfeeding for Baby
- Provides antibodies to help fight off diseases
- Easy to digest = less cramping and gas
- Decreases the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Decreases the likelihood of ear infections, diarrhea, pneumonia, diabetes, childhood cancer, heart disease, and obesity
It is recommended to feed your baby exclusively breastmilk for the first 6 months of life and up to a year and beyond as mother and baby chose.
Set small goals to start and remember we are here to help!