The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth was established by Mother Xavier Ross of Leavenworth, Kansas in 1858. The Sisters opened schools, visited prisoners, took in orphans and cared for the poor and the sick, and in 1869 extended their charitable works into Montana Territory.
By 1897 the Sisters already had hospitals in Butte and Helena. When the call came from Billings’ first mayor, Dr. Henry Chappel, and the city’s first Catholic priest, Father Van Clarenbeck, to establish a hospital in Billings, the Sisters responded. In 1898, nearly 120 years ago, St. Vincent Hospital saw its first patients.
The mission of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth lives on as the St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation continues to provide care to the sick and poor through the wisdom and guidance of leadership, through the dedication and love of employees, and through commitment to make the Billings community a better place to live and work.
The St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation is governed by a board of directors comprised of community leaders. The Foundation is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible as permitted by the law.
Programs supported by the Foundation include charity care through our SOS Employee Giving Campaign for Patient Compassion, Associate Crisis and Community and Children’s Funds; scholarships for qualified students pursuing careers in healthcare; community health and wellness programs; and special hospital projects.
The Foundation has raised funds on the following capital projects:
- Children’s Healthcare Program
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/ PICU Campaign
- 3Fortin Campaign
- Orthopedics Campaign
- Heart and Vascular Capital Campaign
All activities of the Foundation are directed toward developing charitable gifts and grants for St. Vincent Healthcare. The Hospital and the Foundation enjoy wide support from the community they both serve.
Learn more about how to give.