Already a volunteer? Log In
Volunteers make our hospitals and communities a little brighter for everyone. If you can spare some time to help others, we have a place for you! Our hospitals welcome new volunteers and work to match each person’s talents and interests to the activities best suited to them.
Volunteers at St. Mary’s Medical Center
Our volunteers have one thing in common: a dedication to service.
St. Mary's Medical Center has always relied on the generosity of volunteers. Each year, more than 1,000 volunteers work in the hospital and throughout the community. Volunteers provide the friendly face and personal touch patients and their families need during a stressful time.
In addition to providing assistance inside the hospital, St. Mary's Medical Center volunteers reach out to members of our community through a variety of events and programs. They provide one-on-one tutoring and mentoring to children with special needs.
Learn more about touching lives and lifting spirits by being one of St. Mary’s volunteers.
St. Mary's Medical Center
River Zone, Main Floor
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Benefits of volunteering
Why volunteer? Let us count the ways:
- Make a difference to others, and be blessed yourself.
- Meet generous, friendly like-minded people while serving a collective purpose.
- Give back to your community through service to others.
- Contribute to the SCL Health mission to reveal and foster God’s healing love.
- Develop professional skills and gain valuable healthcare experience that can help you when applying for jobs, scholarships and college programs.
- Gain a better view of the relationship between the patient, healthcare providers and the community.
Before you volunteer
Before you can put on that volunteer vest and proudly wear that volunteer badge, there are a few steps you’ll need to take, including:
- An interview with a volunteer services leader
- A background check
- Proof of vaccinations
- Possibly a tuberculosis test, flu shot and other requirements to serve in a healthcare setting
Anyone over the age of 16 is welcome to apply to join our volunteer family. Applications for volunteers 14-15 years of age are accepted starting in March of each year for summer volunteer positions.
Please note: Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 50 hours of service. To meet this commitment:
- 2 hours per week = 6 months
- 3 hours per week = 4 months
- 4 hours per week = 3 months
Ready to learn more or apply?
If you are at least 16 years old or older, simply complete and submit the online Volunteer Application.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll schedule an interview to get to know you better. During the interview, we will discuss your skills and interests to determine an appropriate department and position for you. Upon successful completion of a background check and TB screening, new volunteers attend an orientation training session.
Areas where you can volunteer
You can volunteer in many positions and departments at St. Mary’s Medical Center. We offer a description of all the areas where we have volunteers so you can have an informed perspective on our volunteering opportunities.
Learn about areas where you can volunteer.
Senior volunteer programs
If you are 55 or older and would like to volunteer in our community, our Gray Gourmet and Senior Companion programs, sponsored by St. Mary's, may be just what you're looking for. No special experience or background is necessary. You'll receive pre-service and ongoing training, and program coordinators are available to help and answer your questions.