Our curriculum meets all requirements for the AAFP, ABFM and the ACGME.
The format is 13 four-week blocks/year.
- Community Medicine - 2 weeks - programs & safety net services for Mesa County. Teach Tar Wars and Human Growth & Development in area schools
- ER/Mole - 5 weeks - 1-on-1 evening shift work with ER Docs in the regional medical center
- Pediatrics- 1 block - Well Visits in our clinic & time with pediatric friends
- General Surgery - 1 block - 1-on-1 with local surgeons. All aspects of surgical practice
- Geriatrics-2 weeks Key topics, home visits, EBM and Wellness
- Neonatal ICU - 1 block - 1-on-1 with neonatologists in our level 2+ nursery
- Obstetrics - 2 blocks - "Deck Doc". Shift work - no true call
- Orthopedics - 1 block - 1-on-1 with Orthopedists in busy office & operating theatre
- Teaching Service - 4 blocks - adults & peds from our practice or without a local doctor, admitting Q 4 days only, Night Float covers PMs
- Vacation - 3 weeks - starting in Paradise. Raft the Colorado? Mountain bike Fruita or Moab?
- Cardiology - 2 weeks - 1-on-1 with local Cardiologist
- Community Medicine - 2 weeks - expanding on 1st yr experience
- Elective - 1 block - 1st this year to allow more flexibility
- General Surgery - 3 weeks-Trauma service, apply your ATLS skills
- Geriatrics - Designed by our Assistant Director, Sabrina Mitchell, DO
- Gynecology - 1 block - Public Health clinic with procedural focus
- Management of Health Systems - 1 week - intensive experience with key professionals & faculty, practice mgt course
- ER/Mole- 1 week - same as in 1st yr
- Neurology - 2 weeks - 1-on-1 with local neurologist
- Night Float - 1 block - shift work covering the Teaching Service
- Obstetrics - 1 block - Building on 1st yr skills
- Ophthalmology - 2 weeks - 1-on-1 with local ophthalmologists
- Pediatrics - 3 weeks with our pediatrics group
- Peds House Officer- 3 winter caring for all pediatrics patients in and out of the hospital
- Primary Care - 5 weeks, a unique educational experience where your practice is the curriculum
- Topics of Emphasis: Wellness, Cancer Screening, Addictions, Integrated Mental Health and Procedures
- Rural in Buena Vista, CO Pop 2150 - 1 block. Experience life after graduation.(rush hour traffic may be a herd of elk!)
- Teaching Service - 4 weeks - an amazing mix of dx & mgt experiences with you in charge
- Vacation - 3 weeks - Hike several of the 56 14ers, Ski dozens of world class resorts
- Chief Resident - 1 block - Jr Faculty role overseeing the inpatient service
- Copper Mtn.- 1 block - sports medicine/ortho at major destination resort. An unparalleled capstone experience - (housing & mileage paid for this & all required out of town blocks)
- Dermatology - 2 weeks - 1-on-1 with local Dermatologists, supplements FMC experience
- Electives - 14 additional weeks - plan with your advisor to meet your personal interests. Many options to cover special areas & tailor your education for your future practice
- ENT - 3 weeks - 1-on-1 with ENT group - a resident favorite!
- ER/Mole- 2 weeks - as noted above
- Night float - 2 weeks - as noted above
- Pediatrics - 3 weeks in/out patient - polish your skills with dedicated group of pediatricians
- Peds House Officer - 3 weeks - winter-time care of all inpatient children
- Primary Care - 5 weeks, building on PGY-2 experience, PCMH, group visits, patient education, business topics and more procedures
- Pediatrics Adolescents - 3 weeks, dedicated time to follow on this critical-age group and time with visiting sub-specialist:
- GI, Pulmonary, Neurology, Endocrine, Ortho, Cardiology, etc.
- Teaching Service - 1 block - assure your personal readiness for independent practice
- Vacation - 3 weeks - what will you do this year? Mesa Verde? The Black Canyon?