Sometimes routine prenatal care isn’t enough to ensure the health of both mom and baby. When you and your baby need a little more care, our maternal-fetal medicine specialists are here.
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are OB-GYNs with specialized training in high-risk pregnancies. If your pregnancy is considered high-risk, and you’re already seeing an OB-GYN or midwife, they’ll work side-by-side with a maternal-fetal medicine specialist to minimize your risks and help you achieve the healthiest pregnancy possible.
What we offer
If for any reason your provider considers your pregnancy "high-risk," you will likely be referred to our Maternal-Fetal Center. We offer a team of specialists who ensure you and your baby get the extra TLC you both deserve. When you come to us, you meet with our board-certified perinatologist (a specialist in pregnancy and childbirth) to discuss your specific situation. These visits may include genetic counseling, a detailed ultrasound, or special procedures, such as an amniocentesis. You'll learn how to avoid complications and protect your baby.
What makes me or my pregnancy high-risk?
A number of factors can put your pregnancy in the high-risk category, including:
- A history of premature birth
- A history of preterm labor
- Being older than 35
- Being younger than 17
- Carrying multiples (more than one baby)
- Fetal abnormalities such as congenital heart disorders or Down syndrome
- High blood pressure, also called preeclampsia
- Medical conditions such as gestational diabetes or heart disease
- Multiple miscarriages
- Placental problems such as placenta previa or placental insufficiency