As we begin a new year, THANK YOU for giving health and hope to so many of our patients and their families. With your ongoing gifts, our patients receive life-saving medications, annual checkups, chronic disease management and valuable health education.
Again, thank you for putting your trust in our medical providers, nurses and staff at Saint Vincent and Duchesne Clinics and supporting our mission of health.
What is a lasting tribute?
It is yet another way for you to express your commitment to our clinics. It’s more commonly known as a bequest. This ensures continued sustainability for the clinics. Once you have provided for loved ones in your will, you may want to include a gift of money, stock or insurance to the clinics. Your gift will be a lasting tribute to your concern for our mission, while guaranteeing the clinics’ long-term future.
How do I get started?
- Learn the terminology.
- Bequest - A direction in a Will to pay over or distribute personal property. Also called a Legacy.
- Insurance Trust - A trust consisting of life insurance policies or proceeds.
- Remainder - The amount remaining in a trust after income payments have ended. A remainder is vested when payable to a designated beneficiary, or to a class of beneficiaries whether or not living at the termination of the trust. It is contingent when dependent on some occurrence or event to take place in the future.
- Publicly Traded Stock - This non-cash asset can be attractive because of the favorable income tax treatment it may bring. If securities have appreciated in value over time, you may owe a substantial capital gains tax if you sell them. But, if you use such assets to fund a charitable gift, you may completely avoid the capital gains tax while enjoying a federal income tax deduction for the full value of the securities.
- If you haven’t already, talk with your family, attorney and/or financial adviser about your plans.
- Be informed and be sure to share your paperwork, decisions and wishes with your family and/or attorney.
As you meet with your financial planner this year, please keep Saint Vincent and Duchesne Clinics in mind. If you have included us in your will or charitable giving plans, please let us know. Or, if you need to structure a gift for tax benefits, we may be able to help.
Questions? Call Jennifer Wewers, Director of Development, 913-321-2626.
Advance Planning Resources
Download the Location of Important Papers and Items Checklist
The Center of Practical Bioethics offers an array of resources for advance planning. To access this information and forms, please click here.
You will be asked to complete a short form in order to download the most current forms. We would recommend the Healthcare Directive/Durable Power of Attorney, Witnessing Rules for Advance Directives in Missouri and Kansas and the Caring Conversations booklet.
You may also contact Bess Bonewits directly—913-651-8860 or Bess.Bonewits@CaritasClinics.org —for a paper copy. Thank you!